Sunday, May 24, 2009

Que Sera, Sera...



Right now I am in this haven of peace [city of Dehradun], some 170 kms from my hometown- spending time with my family in this most amazing place with some of the most wonderful people I know and now it's well past midnight, when suddenly I had this urge to pen down my thoughts. The timing [at 2 in the night] is quite odd, I know. Was actually listening to music when I came across this old country classic, first perfomed by an artist named Doris Day in 1950’s, and whenever I’m brooding over life's esoteric issues, this famous line almost always brings me some respite.

Listen to the song by the same title and it conveys the meaning quite clearly. More than the meaning and its philosophy, everyone can certainly enjoy the tune and the melody of this classic song. The famous line goes...

“The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
Whatever will be, will be...”


How veritable! Whether or not one chooses to agree on this, I believe that it is fate which decides the outcome of the course of events in our life, even if n number of actions are taken to alter it. Yet, what happens is for the best and what should happen will happen because it is destiny & destiny is fixed and seriously there is no use worrying about it, since anyways, you can't change it. At times, I think it's just a matter of accepting what we can know and what we will never know, being happy with what we have and accepting the things we can never have...

And despite the adversities, if we believe our lives are tragic, that is exactly what they are. If we can hold on to hope inspite of some pretty dire conditions, then we get to laugh last and best. Reminds me of that saying- “Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think”. Of late I’ve been contemplating life, like today- not in a sad or morose manner, but just trying to evaluate how I live and how I wanna lead my life in times to come and stuff like that & there are few things I've learnt which are crucial to the decisions I make, the attitudes I have and the way I try to live.

Firstly, life is highly unpredictable. Some things will happen, no matter how unanticipated they may be. Yet every situation has some degree of positivity to it. Find it, you’ll feel better . In the grand scheme of things, no one knows a damn thing. Our knowledge is limited and may be, we'll never find the answers to some of those questions we spend our lives searching for. They are beyond our pay-grade. But that doesn't make these questions unworthy of thinking – it only makes them unworthy of anxiety and stress.

More importantly, the only thing we can ever really change about a situation is ourselves and the way we deal with it. Things are going to be sh!t and for a good deal of time, there ain’t gonna be a single thing that you can do to modify that unsought situation. Now you can look at the episode and try to figure out what caused it or who should have changed something, but it doesn't matter! It simply wont! For really you are the only person who you have control over. Everything else is variable. No matter how hard we try to control for outside factors- in this world that’s hilarious, that’s crazy, that’s dysfunctional - the only thing we can trust is ourselves.

At times, I grow really apprehensive when envisaging the future and what it may hold in store for me but then I think to myself- The universe is unfolding as it should, and will continue to do so. That's why, good or bad, unpropitious or affirmative- Que Sera, Sera!

10 comments:

  1. I am sure life is unfolding its secrets to you faster than it does to ordinary or 'Aam Aadmi'. You have a deeper understanding of things around you than normally experienced in your generation.
    I only pray that with age n time you start finding answers to your observations and what it leads to....
    I believe you have mentioned this "No matter how hard we try to control for outside factors- in this world that’s hilarious, that’s crazy, that’s dysfunctional - the only thing we can trust is ourselves."
    As a layman n reader of your ideas I think this is very natural for your age n generation to believe this.....but I think you will consider this fact too that it takes more than one individual to... form a family...make a team..learn a lesson in a class....so somewhere down the lane you have to trust people,,,with all there shortcomings,,their outlook and ideas...no matter how fancy they are...
    Remember that a day will come when you will lead and be responsible for the action of the people you lead....
    From: I once crushed a squirrel by accident...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous,

    Thanks! You're absolutely correct! It sure takes more than an individual to form a family, to make a team, to learn, and as a result of it, grow! The kinda environment I've been brought up in has taught me this one thing quite well! I understand that without trust you can't lead, but I am also aware of this fact equally well that trust is an ethereal quantity – it can be as strong as a rock and yet vanish in an instant. Once gone, it can take a long time to restore – and for some, it may never be fully capable of restoration [ that holds good for both personal relationships as well as professional matters ]

    Meanwhile, I'm just trying to learn from my day-to-day experiences so that the day I am required to assume the responsibilty, I can live up to the expectations of the people who matter the most in my life.

    BTW, that was a pleasant surprise!
    How did you come across my blog??

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes....it does but the believers never loose their faith n trust...We must always develop trust into ideas n people who will no matter what may go wrong will make our belief in them come true..
    its very important to learn to associate with right mix of personalities....
    You always have the right to choose for yourself...
    So once you feel that your trust in an idea or a person did not hold good...You have to do some introspection of the kind of selection you made...n improvise....and that helps you in your future judgement calls..

    Oh I don't know much about all this..Just got inspired with your words so thought of adding to it..Please ignore if you don't agree to any of my ideological perspectives..

    I got lost for some time in my search for a new way of life..wandered here n there and finally ended up in a place very far away from home..

    Had nothing to do on week-ends...so the search began...after looking on all the social networks...finally had some clue.. your snap in plinky is such a beautiful reminder of those few days of learning Chemistry with you...

    Regards....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you sure know a lot and I completely agree with you, as far as your stance on this is concerned . You are absolutely right in saying that many a times, much introspection is needed and that is what can actually help in amending our future judgements...

    Anyways, enough of all this!
    You tell me where are you these days? & How is everyone at home?

    Plinky!! I couldn't imagine that! Nevertheless, that was a wonderful surprise!

    Stay in touch!
    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy today...
    Its really like yesterday that I am reading out to you a few lines from Periodic table...with all my late observations of the room...I am slow.. I now realise that age is catching up with me sooner than I expected...

    I am in Bangalore...since Aug,05 last year..

    Every one is in Meerut as Dakoo or Piya is getting her physiotherapy lessons..Very rigid she is..Not ready to learn..Dalloo Or gullan or Jiya is learning to write her first alphabet...

    How is the temple..Kya roj Aarti hoti he or Parshad aata he...I miss it at times..

    How are you? Aap kaisi hein..?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's great! I'm fine. These days I'm in Noida- nothing much, just busy with studies!
    Mandir gaye kafi time ho gaya...

    Well, Aarti roz hoti hai, Parshad bhi aata hai- everything goes as per the routine.

    What are you doing in Bangalore?

    Give my love to Piya n Jiya...
    Would love to see some of their pics- it's been a long time!

    Hope everything else is going smoothly at your end..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks...What course have you enrolled in..

    How is Sugandha..n Parents..?

    I had to leave teaching as it did not support Piya's treatment n my ambitions..

    Switched into recruitment for a small Indian firm in April 2008..n went to Rudrapur...

    In Aug.2008.I got an opportunity to join IBM as a Campus Recruiter for Indian Hiring in their HR Department...

    Nov 2008 Piya was very ill...so I had to shift her to AIIMS n stay with her..when I returned they asked me to take care of US Hiring..
    Feb 2009 I was involved with Canada operations..
    Recently On June 5th I was asked to streamline the Audit Section of US Operations..
    Coming January I think I will have to move into Business Controls.....
    I am not sure what made this Organisation trust my capabilities this much..but yes everyday has been a great learning 'Opportunity'..
    My team is really good n the Bosses are very organised..
    I work from 6pm till 6am..Cook for myself n I sleep a lot...Haan mein Puja roz karta hoon..
    Tough part is living away from Home n Meerut..

    Where do I post their snaps..? They were born on 24th Aug...in the morning..6:55 am n 6:57 am

    Can I have any email id to do that..or tell me how to attach in your blog..dont know how to do it? I wish to hear more from you...Its always been a pleasure to hear you...
    Take Care..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad to know that you are doing so well over there! :) Everyone at home is fine. Dad was quite unwell in July, but now is back to the regular routine & is busy with work as usual. Sugu is busy with her board preperations this year. And here I’m in Noida @ JIIT to pursue Btech [CSE].

    Exams are drawing nearer and I’m busy preparing for that. Rest everything else is the same. It’s a nice place and you get to learn a lot with each new day, but I look forward more to the weekend b'coz that’s when I get to spend some time with family. Over the period of time, I guess this is also gonna be somewhat infrequent.

    I understand it must be tough for you to manage everything on your own, but can’t your family also move to Bangalore? I mean ain’t it possible at the moment?

    And yeah, you can post their snaps to my email-id => Anubha.tyagi@gmail.com

    And wish them both a veryy Happy B’day from my side as well! :)

    Wish you all the best for all your future endeavours and do keep me updated with the latest happenings!

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Anu didi from Jiya...

    Boo.Boo..Gii gii..Aa Aa from Piya...

    Convey my regards to Sir n Ma'am..Will pray for their good health....

    For Sugu...lots of Choclates..Please take some on this weekend on our behalf...

    I will manage without them for sometime as the climate of Bangalore is not conducive for their health..I have just recovered from Flu like symptoms after 10 days of Bed Rest n Tamiflu..

    You take precautions too..Wash your hands regularly n take glucose with water...

    Snaps are on their way.....will appreciate some of yours in return...

    Thank you so much for your replies.....your words can rejuvenate a man down n lonely....

    With prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pics were amazing! They both are truly adorable! :)

    They put you on Tamiflu?? How are you now???

    And yeah, I shall send you some pics of Janamashtmi, but that will be possible only over the weekend since I don't have any of 'em with me at the moment. So once I go home, I will certainly mail you some...

    Until then, you keep up the good work and please take good care of yourself!

    Anubha...

    ReplyDelete