Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Letting Life Happen...



Yesterday, while going through somebody's blog, I fortunately came across an excerpt that was by this man named Rainer Maria Rilke, somebody that I heard about for the first time, but the impression his writing left was everlasting. He's considered to be the German Language's greatest 20th century poet. And you will immediately see why that is, if you read any of his works. His words have a timeless beauty. What he talks about in one of his prose pieces is actually so true, meaningful and relevant even after all these years that it is simply unbelievable! Ever since I read what he'd originally written (about a hundred years ago), I wanted to share it over here because it was his words which brought me immense peace and comfort and a good night's sleep at the end of the day.

I havn't really read something so elegantly written as the words that come from his quill. Last night, I found myself searching the answers to some of those questions which have baffled me for quite some time now, like the one that presses more than the rest- why have I been put in a position which somewhere deep within, weighs me down, however hard I try to avoid it? At the same time I realize that strangely, this is rather the trail which is the most edifying of them all. Hard as it is, we fail to acknowledge that there are times when looking outside won't help. Because answers to some questions come not from others, but that only our innermost feeling, in our quietest hour can perhaps answer. There is no one who can answer for you those questions and feelings, which, in their depths have a life of their own.

Anyways, as I was reading that blog, I came across the following. It comes from his book - "Letters to the Poet", where Rainer quotes-

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage...
Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something that wants our love...something helpless that wants our help"

How often has this been true? How often are we consumed and terrified by the dragons, unable to see that they are princesses in waiting. How often are we the ones waiting to act, wanting full assurance that we will be sane and safe? Too often, I guess.

These are paradoxes in life that one may not accept, but then they are there. Behind every scary dragon, there is a hidden princess. The painful part to make the mask fall is the process that needs time for you to come out of the closet and long as it has taken, I've learnt it with the pain that I am grateful for, that, in the end- Patience & Faith is everything. As long as you truly believe, you can achieve! Always when I loose the strength to buck it up and think that everything will go wrong even if I try hard to improve it, happens a little thing that gives me the strength to continue walking towards my destination. There is probably a silver lining somewhere, only if we look deep enough.

I have learnt to accept my reality as vastly as I possibly can; everything, where, even the unprecedented is possible within it, because this is in the end- the only kind of courage that is required of us: the courage to face the strongest, most unusual, most inexplicable & unsought experiences that can meet us. In the end, who knows if there is a windfall awaiting you?

Like he says,

"Life is always in the right. So let life happen to you". Because if you don't, you're delaying the best to reach you...

So, while life happens to me, I stand here believing, and waiting for my silver lining to shine...

Did they say, good things happen to those who wait?

6 comments:

  1. nice one anubha... good things might happen to those who wait but best things happens to those who ACT

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous,

    Yeah, right.

    But at times, there's nothing you can do...
    You just have to let things be the way they are, and see how future unfolds...
    I am doing my share of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree...This reminds of gita"Acting without being attached to the fruits of one's deeds"....but status quo is also a good option when its hard to decide which way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true..... smthing dat evrybdy wud agree "the longer u wait fr smthng ,the more u appreciate it when u get, as the things dat r really GUD(as put up by u) are worth waiting 4..." bt i wanna liv ma lyf in a way dat when i luk back on da footprints of d sands of tym , i mst say WOW I LIVED IT, NT SURVIVED IT...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, if a thing is worth doing, then it is worth doing well.
    Likewise, if something is worth having, then it's worth waiting for.

    Hope you make the best outta it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya, hope so.... "let life happen to me"... :)
    fingers crssed

    ReplyDelete